I came across this little gem from Anarchist Memes:
It’s funny, but it’s not funny. You know what I’m saying? I laughed because it’s clever, but yet I was very disturbed because it’s still all too true. The fact of the matter is that if you are a person of color, you’re more likely to be harassed, beaten, shot, arrested, incarcerated, etc, for the simple fact that you are not white. Don’t believe me? Google “Racial Profiling” and see what you come up with. Better yet, try Googling “Cops beating African Americans” or “Cops beating Latinos”. It’s a disgusting potpourri of articles detailing beat downs and killings of minorities, perpetrated by the very people who are paid to protect and serve. When you couple this with the fact that the GOP has declared war on everyone but rich white males, it’s no wonder that civil unrest is still roiling just beneath the surface of our society, spewing forth with the eternal consistency of Old Faithful.
- East Haven Police Officers Convicted (foxct.com)
- Fort Lauderdale Cops Using Bike Registration Law to Racially Profile Blacks, Public Defender Says (blogs.browardpalmbeach.com)
- Stop and Frisk Rap Video Sends Powerful Message About NYPD And Racial Profiling (scooprocket.com)
- bad cops (thejohnsmithblog.wordpress.com)
- Another Day, Another Mistake (introtojournalism13.wordpress.com)
- How I Called the Cops and Almost Got Shot: the Politics of Being a “Threat” (occupyusatoday.com)
- Cops Are Beating Up an Unarmed Suspect Almost Every Day in Houston (alternet.org)
- Footage of racist Philly cops goes viral (salon.com)
Did I just see rainbow smoke coming from the White House chimney? In an interview with ABC News Robin Roberts today, President Obama echoed the sentiments of Joe Biden ( without the off the wall Will & Grace comments):
OBAMA:”I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about. members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don’t Ask Don’t Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point
I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married.”
The interview is scheduled to air tonight.
I must say, this is a pretty bold statement, considering the fact that it’s an election year. Hopefully, he’ll get another 4 years to back that statement up. As I stated in a previous post, it’s going to take a hell of a lot of work to get rid of DOMA, and finally bring about marriage equality on a federal level.
I hope Obama’s actions will be louder than his words.
Posted from my CrapBerry
“Like” Beneath The Tin Foil Hat on Facebook for stuff you won’t see on the blog, or follow me on Twitter: @Tinfoilhatman3
- Obama to give TV interview on gay marriage as speculation grows (guardian.co.uk)
- Half of Americans Support Legalizing Gay Marriage (newsy.com)
- North Carolina vote shows gay marriage still divisive (tbo.com)
- Is Barack Obama Poised to Announce that He Supports Gay Marriage Soon? (themoderatevoice.com)
Apparently Miami-Dade Fire and Rescue Department Captain Brian Beckmann doesn’t like the arrest of Trayvon Martin’s killer. It seems that he doesn’t think much of Trayvon’s parents either. Beckmann is under investigation by Miami-Dade Fire and Rescue for this cute little rant he posted on Facebook:
Wow dude, that’s quite the racist little bitch session you have going there. I think you might want to exchange your fire helmet for a white hood. Yeesh.
- George Zimmerman’s MySpace sign-on was ‘datniggytb.’ A nickname, not a slur, source claims (dailykos.com)
- Dade Firefighter’s Facebook Post On Trayvon Martin Sparks Firestorm (miami.cbslocal.com)
- Fire captain’s racist rant sparks investigation (local10.com)
- Miami-Dade fire captain on Zimmerman charges: Blame ‘sh*tbag’ parents of ‘our urban youth’ (thegrio.com)
- Dade Firefighter’s Facebook Post On Trayvon Sparks Controversy (miami.cbslocal.com)