First and foremost, drug screening is a scam. It’s a scam designed to create paranoia that drug abuse is rampant everywhere. Be it in the home, or in the workplace, there are drug abusers, drug abusers everywhere! According to the companies that sell drug testing kits and perform the tests, drug abusers are worse than all of the socialists and muslims combined. Why is that? Well, when you consider that each kit roughly cost $30, not including all of the administration and lab work costs, why wouldn’t you try to profit from the very paranoia that you’ve created? Want to know why all 50 states do not require drug screens for government assistance applicants? Because it’s not cost effective.
In Florida, one such state that did require drug screening for assistance applicants before the law was struck down. It was reported that in a four month period in 2011, $118.000 was spent on drug testing kits alone. out of a little over 4000 applicants, 188 were caught, roughly 2.6%. This is about half of what the state would have spent if they had merely allowed those 2.6% to get benefits. The drug kits actually cost the state $45,000, not counting administrative cost and lab fees. I’m sure that money could have been spent more effectively on, I don’t know, maybe job training or something along those lines?
Speaking of job training, drug screening in the work place is even more expensive: When I was an administrator, it was my job to screen my current and prospective drivers. The cost of a 5 panel screen was roughly $100.00 at my then employer’s expense. How many people failed in the 7 years I worked there? 1 person failed the test. 1 out of over 100’s of test issued during that time. Still think testing makes sense? If you do, it’s either because you fail to see reasoning, or you work for a drug testing company.
Going back to my first point, drug testing is just one giant unprofitable boondoggle. Unprofitable that is, to employers, as well as state and federal governments. However, if you’re one such lucky corporation that sells the kits and charge for lab work, then drug testing is awesome. You’re making money faster than a war time Dick Cheney. You are to the war on drugs what Halliburton is to the war on terrorism. Congratulations, enjoy you’re money. Or go fuck yourself. I really don’t care.
Want to save money? How about drug screening corporate leaders and politicians. I’m pretty sure if George W. Bush had been tested we would have saved billions of dollars and countless lives in doing so. The man was having visions of god while he was in the oval office. He was either mentally ill, or on some really powerful hallucinogens. Think about it, they’re the ones who can afford the good drugs that are guaranteed to fuck your world up. They’re the ones who can do it consistently. They are problem, not the 2.6% of the poor people who would rather get high than eat. When given a choice, over 90% percent of the population choose the necessities of life over drugs. The rich have to make no such choice. Hmmmm, that explains a lot, at least to me it does. It’s not the drugs that are ruining our world, it’s money. Maybe we should test for money addiction instead of Marijuana.
I’m just saying.
What a travesty. What an utter and complete miscarriage of justice.
Kudos to Guerrilla Feminism for sharing this.
Truer words never spoken.
I would say I’m speechless, but I’m not. I’m outraged. Meanwhile, a black woman in Florida is serving 20 years in prison for firing a warning shot over the head of her abusive husband when he tried to attack her. Apparently, justice in Florida IS a matter of black and white.
- George Zimmerman found not guilty (atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com)
- Verdict: George Zimmerman Found Not Guilty (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)
- A prediction or three about the Zimmerman verdict (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)
- American Injustice: Zimmerman Killed a Boy in ‘Self Defense’ (zwingliusredivivus.wordpress.com)
If you live in South Florida, you may want to check out this article: Why the City of Miami Is Doomed to Drown | Politics News | Rolling Stone. It’s scary as hell. With sea waters rising due to climate change, it’s likely that South Florida is going to sink rather rapidly into the sea as early as 2030. Miami will be gone, the Everglades will be gone, and the Turkey Point nuclear power plant is likely to become another Fukushima. Florida is currently a Tea Party state, and warnings from climatologists are going largely ignored down there. Little is being done to prepare for the rising seas, other than throwing good money after bad in efforts to update decades old pumping and desalinization systems. Miami and the resort towns around it will sink, and within decades become a new age Atlantis. The article poses some realistically scary scenarios for Miami, as well as challenges that other low lying coastal cities such as Washington DC, New York City, and Boston are currently facing now, as well as in the future. If you believe in global warming, this article is a sobering must read.
- Rolling Stone says Goodbye, Miami (bizjournals.com)
- A vision of Miami’s impending underwater apocalypse (theverge.com)
- Sea level rise will turn Miami into American Atlantis (treehugger.com)
- American Atlantis: Sea-level rise means Miami is doomed (grist.org)
The GOP platform is a farce, the nomination procedure was a farce (just ask Ron Paul supporters). The entire convention has been one giant anti-women, anti-gay, anti-immigrant, anti-poor and middle class farce. All the convention has managed to do so far is show the world just how much of a fractured, dysfunctional, and hateful party the GOP is. All I can say is:
Apparently Miami-Dade Fire and Rescue Department Captain Brian Beckmann doesn’t like the arrest of Trayvon Martin’s killer. It seems that he doesn’t think much of Trayvon’s parents either. Beckmann is under investigation by Miami-Dade Fire and Rescue for this cute little rant he posted on Facebook:
Wow dude, that’s quite the racist little bitch session you have going there. I think you might want to exchange your fire helmet for a white hood. Yeesh.
- George Zimmerman’s MySpace sign-on was ‘datniggytb.’ A nickname, not a slur, source claims (dailykos.com)
- Dade Firefighter’s Facebook Post On Trayvon Martin Sparks Firestorm (miami.cbslocal.com)
- Fire captain’s racist rant sparks investigation (local10.com)
- Miami-Dade fire captain on Zimmerman charges: Blame ‘sh*tbag’ parents of ‘our urban youth’ (thegrio.com)
- Dade Firefighter’s Facebook Post On Trayvon Sparks Controversy (miami.cbslocal.com)
6 weeks after he killed Trayvon Martin, and 1 day after his lawyers dumped him on his ass, it appears as if George Zimmerman is finally going to be charged for Martin’s death. Florida special prosecutor Angela Corey will be holding a press conference at 6PM tonight, in which it is expected that she will announce that Zimmerman will be charged. Although details of the charges are not known yet, I would imagine it will be a manslaughter charge: Murder charges can only be filed by a grand jury under Florida state law, and Corey declined to convene the grand jury in this case.
As of right now, Zimmerman’s location is unknown. Zimmerman’s attorneys have stated that although he is still in the U.S, he is no longer in Florida. My guess is that he’s cowering in the basement of his personal confidant, Sean Hannity.
Posted from my CrapBerry
“Like” Beneath The Tin Foil Hat on Facebook for stuff you won’t see on the blog, or follow me on Twitter: @Tinfoilhatman3
- George Zimmerman to be charged in Trayvon Martin shooting, official says (lesliebrodie.wordpress.com)
- George Zimmerman In Custody, Charged With Second-Degree Murder In Trayvon Martin’s Death (whnt.com)
- George Zimmerman To Be Charged In Trayvon Martin Case (alan.com)
- BREAKING: George Zimmerman will be charged in murder of Trayvon Martin (haleybehre.wordpress.com)
- George Zimmerman Expected To Be Charged For The Death Of Trayvon Martin (now100fm.radio.com)
- George Zimmerman expected to be charged in Trayvon Martin’s death (authordaisyroberts.wordpress.com)
- Zimmerman dodges first degree murder charge and launches website (lameducks.wordpress.com)
- Sources: George Zimmerman Could Be Arrested Soon; Grand Jury Won’t Get Trayvon Martin Case (annem040359.wordpress.com)
Tell Florida’s 18th District State’s Attorney what you think about this miscarriage of justice. Just click on the link below:
- [Trayvon Martin] (whereshouldistart.wordpress.com)
- media.think – social justice: Twitter Tidbits and News Links Around The Internet on #TrayvonMartin Blog-In Day (lifestyle30.wordpress.com)
- HUMAN RIGHTS Petition! Don’t Turn Your Eye. Fight for ALL RIGHTS!! (inthemixwithtre.wordpress.com)
- Fear and Justice (gabrielconstans.wordpress.com)
- Short commercial break: Trayvon Martin. (spinsterscompass.wordpress.com)
- Move On.org Is Gearing Up Support “Justice for Trayvon Martin” . Yay! (bonjupatten.com)
- Trayvon Martin case draws celebrities, feds join investigation (csmonitor.com)