Obama Calls Ryan’s Budget” Social Darwinism”
At 12:30 this afternoon, President Obama will be holding a press conference, in which he’ll be slamming Paul Ryan’s rich get richer, poor get poorer budget. As Obama is expected to label the plan as “Social Darwinism,” some excerpts of his speech have been released in advance. Let’s take a look, shall we?
“Disguised as [a] deficit reduction plan, it’s really an attempt to impose a radical vision on our country. It’s nothing but thinly-veiled Social Darwinism. It’s antithetical to our entire history as a land of opportunity and upward mobility for everyone who’s willing to work for it — a place where prosperity doesn’t trickle down from the top, but grows outward from the heart of the middle class. And by gutting the very things we need to grow an economy that’s built to last — education and training; research and development — it’s a prescription for decline,”
Obama is right on a few points here: Yes, it is Social Darwinism. It’s survival of the richest at it’s very best. There are a ton of cuts, including eliminating medicare, that are designed to keep the impoverished where they’re at, and drag the middle class that much closer to poverty. In the meantime, healthy tax cuts for the rich widens the gap even further between them and us. However, it is not antithetical to the American Way, it falls right in line with our social and economical history. The poor and middle class never stood a chance in our hierarchal, bust and boom economy.
Obama will also add that the generation of middle class Americans who went to college on the G.I. Bill helped build the most prosperous economy in the world.
This is an outright lie or hallucination. Our economy did become the most prosperous, but it was built upon the Cold War machine. A war on communism that was concocted by American corporate powers in order to generate more profit for a privileged few.
Don’t get me wrong here; Obama is right to lambaste Ryan and his budget. It’s horrible and inhuman; it’s a fiscal and social disaster. Where he’s wrong is in trying to sell us this bill of goods deemed as the American way. Your version of it looks great, but it never existed.
Posted from my CrapBerry
“Like” Beneath The Tin Foil Hat on Facebook for stuff you won’t see on the blog, or follow me on Twitter: @Tinfoilhatman3
- Obama Will Shred The Paul Ryan Budget In Today’s Big Speech (mb50.wordpress.com)
- The Republican’s Social-Darwinist Budget Plan (robertreich.org)
- RT @thenoahkinsey: The GOP canceled the healthcare bill before the House voted. Seems fitting, as the only birth control their plan covere… 3 days ago
- fb.me/1frP3l8iF 2 weeks ago
- RT @scoejarborough: One thing that isn't at all terrifying is that our President is literally a fucking idiot who knows almost zero things… 1 month ago
- RT @ByCommonConsent: He institutes a Muslim ban. He takes Jews out of the Holocaust. He mocks the memory of Frederick Douglass. It's white… 1 month ago
- sfchronicle.com/opinion/reich/… 1 month ago