Bread and Circus Ain’t Looking So Good Right Now.
Like most of you, I have been paying close attention to the budget/debt ceiling negotiations on Capitol Hill. Like most of you, I have also been keeping the NFL negotiations on my radar of interests as well. It occurred to me today, that both sets of negotiations are currently in an intriguing juxtaposition.
To see the duality of both circumstances, we need to look at them separately; in Washington, we have a group of overpaid, out of touch with the public, pampered brats attempting to make financial decisions that will affect all of us.
In the NFL, we have a group of overpaid, out of touch with the public, pampered brats attempting to make financial decisions that will also affect us, only on a smaller, not as crucial scale. In either situation we have two groups of the social elite haggling over amounts of money that are so large, it’s difficult to quantify in our minds.
However, I’m not wholly comparing the two; the debt ceiling negotiations, affects our bread, the NFL, our circus. Only an idiot would think that circus takes priority over bread.
There are many similarities, as well as differences, but there is one common denominator that makes this comparison meaningful: The public. While Washington is poising itself to slash and burn programs that mean the most to us, Medicare, Social Security, Education, etc, the NFL will no doubt negotiate an agreement that will inevitably cause owners to raise ticket and concession prices to keep their bottom lines intact. In both cases, the majority suffers, while the minority sucks more out of our dwindling finances than ever.
In both cases, what the public wants is of no importance. We do not matter; what matters to our “elected” officials is money, what matters to the owners and players is money. Constituents and fans alike are of no importance.
We can’t afford bread, we can’t afford circus: We’re just fucked all the way around aren’t we?
Happy Hump Day!
- Big, Bad Government – Bill Murchison – Townhall Conservative (gds44.wordpress.com)
- Trask, York at NFL 101 (sfgate.com)
- Eller, lawyers for retirees join NFL negotiations Tuesday (tsn.ca)
- fb.me/1frP3l8iF 1 week ago
- RT @scoejarborough: One thing that isn't at all terrifying is that our President is literally a fucking idiot who knows almost zero things… 1 month ago
- RT @ByCommonConsent: He institutes a Muslim ban. He takes Jews out of the Holocaust. He mocks the memory of Frederick Douglass. It's white… 1 month ago
- sfchronicle.com/opinion/reich/… 1 month ago
- RT @angelakaplan7: @Bravotv @StandingRockST #Bravo @Brainman365 @Braves @monsantotribun @whistleblowing @trufersucata @TinFoilHatMan3 @mike… 1 month ago