Steve Simon Battles Minnesota Homophobes On Same Sex Marriage.
“How many more gay people does God have to create before we ask ourselves whether or not God actually wants them around?”
This quote was given by State representative Steve Simon to the Minnesota house committee, in an effort to convince the Republican dominated legislature not to insert a same sex marriage ban into their state constitution. The measure passed in spite of his impassioned plea.
For those who believe in god, this quote should ring true; if we are all ostensibly god’s creatures, then to deny those of same sex orientation the same rights as heterosexuals is a sin, right?
For those of us who are atheists, the same quote applies. Simply replace the word “god” with nature. It still makes sense, does it not? Understand this: same sex orientation is a natural occurrence in the animal kingdom, and we are animals!
To deny same sex marriage is to deny human rights. Steve Simon gets that. I wish there were more Steve Simons in the world. I also wish there were less pious homophobes such as Rick Santorum, or the Minnesota legislature in the world. I’m not holding my breath though; I would probably suffocate waiting for such a sweeping change in misplaced morality.
Posted with WordPress for BlackBerry.
- Representative Steve Simon arguing against a Minnesota… (benjaminste.in)
- Minnesota Democrat Steve Simon’s pro-gay speech racks up YouTube views (miamiherald.typepad.com)
- Rhetorical Question of the Day (thedailywh.at)
- Minnesota Rep: How Many Gays Does God Have to Create Before We Accept That He Wants Them Around? (towleroad.com)
- How Many Gays Must God Create…? (onebluestocking.wordpress.com)