Government Shutdown Averted… For Now
Republicans and Democrats got their act together last night and finally hammered out a budget deal. $38 billion was cut from the budget, but Planned Parenthood, health care reform, and the EPA were spared for now. The Republicans, Democrats, and Tea Baggers are all claiming victory. My gut feeling says that the Democrats caved on many issues and we’ll find out just how much they caved in the next few days as more details become available. Meanwhile, the government stays open, and the rich continue to get richer, as it is believed that most of the tax cuts were left in the budget for corporations and the wealthy.
Next up: The 2012 budget proposal. This will probably be an even bigger fight.
- Jim Jordan: Boehner Will Need Dems To Pass Funding Deal (huffingtonpost.com)
- Budget Deal Nets DC Abortion Funding Ban, Planned Parenthood Vote (lifenews.com)
- Deal struck on ACA, Planned Parenthood (politico.com)
- Senate Democratic Aide: Deal To Avert Shutdown Reached 1.5 Hours Before Deadline (huffingtonpost.com)
- Last-minute Deal Avoids a Government Shutdown (waronterrornews.typepad.com)
- Democrats, Abortion, And Cavemen (duanegraham.wordpress.com)