Republican Budget Shows Their Hatred For Women,Children and The Elderly Once Again.
I came across this list today that was recently posted on MoveOn.org:
Top 10 Shocking Attacks from the GOP‘s War on Women
2) A state legislator in Georgia wants to change the legal term for victims of rape, stalking, and domestic violence to “accuser.” But victims of other less gendered crimes, like burglary, would remain “victims.”
3) In South Dakota, Republicans proposed a bill that could make it legal to murder a doctor who provides abortion care. (Yep, for real.)
5) In Congress, Republicans have a bill that would let hospitals allow a woman to die rather than perform an abortion necessary to save her life.
6) Maryland Republicans ended all county money for a low-income kids’ preschool program. Why? No need, they said. Women should really be home with the kids, not out working.
7) And at the federal level, Republicans want to cut that same program, Head Start, by $1 billion. That means over 200,000 kids could lose their spots in preschool.
8- Two-thirds of the elderly poor are women, and Republicans are taking aim at them too. A spending bill would cut funding for employment services, meals, and housing for senior citizens.
9) Congress just voted for a Republican amendment to cut all federal funding from Planned Parenthood health centers, one of the most trusted providers of basic health care and family planning in our country.
10) And if that wasn’t enough, Republicans are pushing to eliminate all funds for the only federal family planning program. (For humans. But Republican Dan Burton has a bill to provide contraception for wild horses. You can’t make this stuff up).
The hypocrisy of the right wing never ceases to amaze me. They are willing to kill abortion doctors and intimidate women who dare to get abortions, in the name of saving unborn children. Yet they will do everything to strip funding that helps unwed mothers and their underprivileged children once they’re born. Furthermore they want to cut funding to head start and education programs for these very same children, while thumping their chests about the lack of education for our nation’s youth. If you’re going to take extreme measures to protect the unborn, then you damn well better be prepared to protect them when they’re born. Ignoring them and leaving them on their own is not the answer.
They scream about protecting Christian moral values, yet want to redefine the term “rape” and continue to make rape cases an issue in which the victims are guilty until proven innocent. That doesn’t seem very Christian to me. Rape victims are exactly that, victims. They should be treated as such, not the opposite.
They blather on about protecting social security for the elderly, yet want to wipe out the budgets for employment opportunities, along with medical, housing and meal services. The elderly, much as children are to be ignored by the conservative factions.
In spite of all the women who are in positions of power within the Republican Party, it seems to me as if they still hate women. They would rather let a woman die in the hospital and let her motherless child, if it even survives, grow up in a country that does not want to help him or her grow and flourish in society.
Conservatives still cling to the archaic ways of a patriarchal society. With the exception of a few, women are meant to stay in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant. To conservatives, women are only good for bearing and rearing children, and teaching them the Old Testament while the men are out making the money, and protecting our good old fashioned American moral way of life. The message the Republicans are delivering is standard GOP thinking. America is the best country in the world, as long as you’re white, male, heterosexual,Christian,and between the ages of 21 and 60. If you’re anything other than that, you don’t count.
- Top 10 Republican Attacks on Women (feministphilosophers.wordpress.com)
- Lawmaker gets personal on abortion (politico.com)
- Planned Parenthood debate turns personal – Politico (news.google.com)
- House Blocks Federal Aid For Planned Parenthood (huffingtonpost.com)
- Women’s Rights:the Right’s Wars On Women (ynative77.wordpress.com)
- Roundup: De-funding Planned Parenthood (4simpsons.wordpress.com)