He Talks a Good Game: Thoughts on The State of The Union.
I watched President Obama address key issues of the country last night the way a CEO of a corporation would address his stock holders; there was a lot of can do, tighten our belts and work together to be more efficient rhetoric. Watching the State of the Union last night was a lot like eating Taco Bell? It tasted a lot like beef, but it’s actually just some meat with a lot of filler. As he talked about his grand vision for the country moving forward, all I could think was “that’s great, but what’s the plan?”
Here were some thoughts I had last night while Obama spoke:
- Does anyone else think Joe Biden resembles Sam the Eagle from the Muppet Show?
- John Boehner looked as if he was suffering from painful gas the entire time Obama spoke.
- The seating arrangement of Democrats and Republicans was effective in that it curtailed a lot of unnecessary applause. However there were several moments when I felt like I was looking at the political version of Whack-a-mole.
- Obama made good use of human props to make his points extremely effective.
- The African American family that was there as guests of Boehner; All I could picture was Boehner screaming at one of his aids “I DON’T CARE WHERE YOU LOOK, FIND ME A TOKEN BLACK FAMILY TO SIT IN MY SEATS NOW!!!!!”
- Renewable energy is a good start, but more needs to be done. By the way, I know they are a major contributor to your campaign fund, but would you quit harping on clean coal? There is no such thing.
- In spite of what you say, we do not have clean water to drink, nor clean air to breathe. Stop bull shitting the public.
- He talked of leveling the playing field on tax cuts. Does that mean closing a few token loopholes while giving even more corporations tax breaks? Reaganomics has yet to work Mr. President.
- Repeal of DADT is wonderful, kudos to you sir for doing the right thing. But what about same sex marriage, or you know, an equal rights guarantee for my LGBT brothers and sisters?
- High Schools and universities have become nothing more than corporate diploma mills. I want to see a plan to turn that around.
- On health care reform. Here is what I heard “If you have a better idea on how to improve reform, great, I would love to hear it.” “Anything else, fuck off!”
- Obama really dislikes big oil. I hope he has the balls to take it to the oil industry.
- John McCain and John Kerry sitting together. Kerry had a complete look of disdain on his face, while McCain looked like he was going to puke snakes at any moment.
- A million electric cars by 2015. Are they going to be affordable? It really doesn’t mean anything if they aren’t.
- I was really moved when Obama spoke about the 53 year old woman who went back to school. It was particularly touching when the camera panned in on her as she was saying “that’s me, that’s me!” That was pretty cool.
- Obama took a shot at Bush while talking about the budget. Apparently he’s still pissed at him like many of us are.
- Was Obama throwing props at Boehner for working his way from sweeping his dad’s bar room floors to becoming the third most powerful man in America? Or was he reminding Agent Orange that he’s no better than the rest of us and to take that gigantic stick out of his ass?
Overall I thought it was a good speech and Obama has again displayed his massive charisma as a speaker and leader. I’m still skeptical though. Show me bipartisan cooperation in action. Get things done. Make good choices on the direction we need to go. Shrink the huge gaps between the social classes. Make equal rights for everyone a priority. Hire more teachers, give them more money. Recognize global warming and follow through with making it one of our top priorities.
What did you think?