It’s estimated that the government shut down will cost the tax payers twenty one million dollars a day. In addition, the shut down will slow down the economy to the tune of three hundred million dollars a day. Meanwhile, the stock market began to plummet before the shut down even went into effect. In addition, an estimated eight hundred thousand government workers are now on leave without pay. Furthermore, vital social programs such as WIC will be shut down, leaving many who rely on government assistance to fend for themselves. Looking forward to retirement? Not so fast my friend. You’re application for Social Security most likely will not be processed until the shut down ends. Want to go to a national park or museum? Forget about it, they’re shut down as well. The absurd list of those affected by the shut down goes on and on.
This is our conservative party at work folks – or in this case non work. They are diligently and systematically destroying our country in order to undermine our president. This isn’t a mere temper tantrum over Obama-care: This is treason. This is one of our parties demonstrating a complete disregard for the country they supposedly have sworn to protect and work for. The government could have easily been kept operational if the Republican Party would have budged one iota on their ridiculous demands. The House and Senate could have easily passed a spending bill that did not include the defunding of Obama-care, John Boehner wouldn’t allow it. The GOP isn’t looking out for the American people, they’re looking out for themselves, as well as the likes of the Koch brothers. This traitorous act by the Republican Party is akin to the boy with the football going home until everybody lets him play quarterback. Let me tell you something boys, the game you’re trying to shut down went on without you: The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act went into effect while you were collectively packing your footballs and going home. Your little game of chicken accomplished nothing, other than seriously damaging our economy. It’s not Obama nor the Democrats who are suffering from your childish and churlish behavior: It’s millions of people in this country who will suffer.
At the very least, the GOP leaders who are leading this crusade against John Q Public simply must be voted out in 2014. At the most, they should be led away from their tax payer subsidized day care in shackles. In closing, I would just like to say this to John Boehner and the rest of his petulant cronies:
- Why the Republicans lost (tv.msnbc.com)
- Senate rejects House funding bill with shutdown in clear sight (thehill.com)
- John Boehner doesn’t have to let the Tea Party paralyze whole government (washingtonpost.com)
- Government Shutdown Begins As Deadlocked Congress Flails (bloomberg.com)
What are your thoughts on Obama’s SOTU? I have to admit, I only caught the last half hour last night. However, I did get a chance to read the full text of his speech this morning. All in all, I thought it was a very moving address. Here are some points that caught my attention:
1. POTUS finished his speech with an extremely emotional bang. His call for tougher gun control regulations were punctuated with recognition of several victims of gun violence. After each name was called, he implored that each victim deserves a vote. Even John Boehner rose to his feet to applaud. However, I couldn’t help but feel that this was nothing more than emotional grandstanding. Obama never once mentioned an actual passing of a gun control bill, he merely called for some form of legislation to be voted upon. He knows full well that nothing will pass through the NRA controlled congress. His rhetoric did make me tear up a little though.
2. Climate change. Yes Mr. President, our climate has changed. You’re a little late, but welcome to the conversation. For the sake of every living thing on this planet. I implore you to lead the way in reducing our carbon footprint. Climate change is an issue that you should be talking about every single day until something is done.
3. Raising the minimum wage. This is also long overdue. There should be no such thing as the working poor. I like the idea of tying the minimum wage to the cost of living index. Make it happen.
4. Improving infrastructure. Again, long overdue. Want to put people back to work? Want to attract more jobs and boost interstate commerce? Improve our decaying infrastructure. It’s a no brainer.
5. Women do deserve equal pay: Twist some arms and make this happen.
6. Cyber security. This makes me little nervous. I can’t help but feel that more of our civil liberties are going to be stripped under the guise of national security and cyber security. It seemed as this part of his speech was pointed more toward hacktivists such as Anonymous, and less toward global terrorist.
7. Transparency of national security. Obama tells us that congress is informed of every program and action taken by our security and intelligence agencies. He also assured that the public would be kept in the know. This was a pants on fire moment for the president. I’m skeptical, as is a majority of the country. Let’s get a look at that kill list Mr. President!
8. Cut Spending, close tax loopholes. I agree, but why fuck with Medicare?
9. Obama seemed more bi-partisan. He worked very hard to remind everyone last night that we’re in this for the long haul. He seemed to throw a little something out to both parties.
The whole time I was watching the speech, Biden’s lack of pupil visibility was freaking me and my partner out. It was very disturbing.
Bonus: Boehner seemed to be an even higher shade of orange.
Over all, I think it was one of the president’s best speeches. He was conciliatory, and he was passionate about issues that are in the fore front of the county’s collective mind. As with every SOTU, I can only hope there’s more action than lip service.
The Constitution is indeed under attack from the White House. However, in spite of the rhetoric from the guns nuts, It’s the 5th and 14th amendments we need to worry about, not the 2nd.
The memos regarding the targeting of Americans suspected of being members of Al-Qaida are not only disturbing, they’re down right ass puckering. The White House is insisting that Obama has the right to play judge, jury, and executioner in these cases. Our right to due process is of no consequence. It’s bad enough that we utilize flying killer robots to kill innocents in other countries: now, Obama is insisting that he can turn them on us with absolutely no disclosure of proof, no arrest, no trial, no anything. All it takes is whatever file our crack intelligence agencies happen to lay on Obama’s desk.
The drone program isn’t a war on terror, it’s a war on liberty, it’s a war on human rights. The drone program is the resurgence of Murder Incorporated. The drone program isn’t justice, it’s White House directed vigilantism, it’s fascism disguised as the war on terror.
What’s nearly as disturbing as this total lack of regard for our right of due process, is the lack of protest from our media, or seemingly any liberal for that matter. We should be as outraged over this as we were over the transgressions perpetrated by the Bush Administration. There was a lot of back lash over the imprisonment and torture of people who were deemed as threats to national security under Bush’s watch: Why is Obama seemingly getting a pass on this policy, which is tantamount to scenarios straight out of a Judge Dredd comic? When will this country have a government that actually works for and with the people?
What we have, and have had all along, is a government that works above the people. It’s always been that way, and it will always be that way. The fact that our president can play judge, jury, and executioner when ever he wants, Constitution be damned, is more than enough proof that we don’t matter. All that matters is profit and power. If you get in the way of that, be prepared to get a drone up your ass, with no questions asked.
Those damn tyrannical, liberty stealing deer acting as Obama’s minions! We simply must organize our militias, and crush these horned seditionists with our Walmart semi automatic weapons!
No one is coming to take your guns – please, shut the fuck up.
You don’t need an assault gun with a grenade launcher to hunt deer or protect your home – please, shut the fuck up.
The Muslims and atheists are not coming to blow up your churches or rob you of your religion- please, shut the fuck up.
Gays and lesbians getting married do not rob you of your rights, nor do they violate the sanctity of marriage- please, pretty please with whipped cream and a cherry on top, shut the fuck up.
Obama is not a socialist, nor is he coming to take your big screen TV to give to a poor person. Corporate profits have soared under Obama- please, shut the fuck up.
Climate change is real, and this planet is in grave danger of dying – please, shut the fuck up: your blustering over cyclical temps is greatly contributing to our carbon foot print.
Obama is not out to steal your liberties: He’s too busy killing innocent people of color in third world countries with his killer robot planes – please, shut the fuck up.
Reagan and Bush spent way more, and contributed more to the deficit than Obama – please, shut the fuck up.
Supply side economics doesn’t work – please, shut the fuck up.
Women deserve to have control over their own bodies – please, take your patriarchal, misogynistic views, and shut that whole fucking thing down.
Getting more people to work is more important than austerity: More workers equals more taxpayers and consumers, which equals more revenue – Mitch please, shut the fuck up.
God is indeed in our schools: if a student so desires to bring god with him or her to school, she or he has every right to do so – can I get a please shut the fuck up?
Most people don’t want “gifts” from our government. What they want is a chance for a good education, a good job, and a good life – please, help yourself to a Mitt Romney sized cup of shut the fuck up.
Liberals are not some communist horde looking to tear down America. We simply want to level the playing field in order to make sure that everyone has a chance to work hard, and build America up – please, right wing pundits, shut the fuck up.
If I left any wing nuts out, don’t worry I’ll get to you – in the mean time have a seat in yonder corner, and SHUT THE FUCK UP!
- Right Now Lyrics By Korn (lyricsjunction.wordpress.com)
- Portable (zozomacallister.wordpress.com)
- What We Have Done (angelschoice.wordpress.com)
- Random Thoughts – Perspective AKA I Might Not Really F*ck With You (breonajai.wordpress.com)
- Mothers who say F**ck (noplaceforsheep.com)
It’s been a little over a week now since the election, and the GOP seems to be sticking to some very confounding reasoning as to why they lost. It wasn’t because of their out of touch platform, it was because Obama got too many votes. Wait, what? That’s like the Kansas City Chiefs blaming their Monday night loss on Pittsburgh for scoring too many points. This is the message delivered: Whether it be Romney trying to cover his ass to his campaign contributors (or investment handlers as I like to think of them), or Paul Ryan bemoaning that Obama had too much support in urban areas.
That’s the Republican reasoning: Blame Obama for getting votes that they were sure would be coming to them. It had nothing to do with the fact that the GOP managed to alienate half the country. The election was lost because President Obama was irresponsibly appealing to a larger demographic of voters. Yet again, the GOP has found a way to blame our president for their utter failure. Talk about a gift – the Republican Party as it is in the present day, going down in flames, was gift enough for me. The Republicans can blame Obama and his “gifts” all they want, but truth is that the majority of us loathe their gifts to the perversely wealthy, big oil, and hedge fund managers.
One would think that the GOP would learn their lesson. Extreme conservatism is no more appealing then extreme liberalism. Yet, that’s the cold dish that they insist on serving. What happened to the moderates? What happened to cooperation? Apparently these are ideologies of the past. It’s not enough to enable corporate welfare, the GOP will not be happy until extremism rules our country in much the same fashion that extremists rule Iran. This is the party of Reagan no longer, this is the party of rich white ayatollahs who want to impose their will on the rest of us.
I was hoping this would change after the election. I was hoping the GOP would begin to make a sorely needed move toward the center. I guess I was wrong. Maybe they will get the memo, in time for the 2014 house and senate elections. I’m not holding my breath though.
- GOP Extremism Will Doom Its Future Prospects (patheos.com)
It’s a shame that it takes a horrific event such as Sandy to bring us together to work toward a common cause. This picture of Governor Christie and President Obama touring New Jersey and offering comfort where they can is quite poignant to me. It reminds me that in times of crisis, it is possible to set aside our differences, roll up our sleeves, and work together. I have to give big respect to Governor Christie for putting his state before his politics. His non-partisan leadership in the midst of this crisis, clearly displays that he puts the well being of people before any conservative agenda.
I also have to pay big respect to Obama, for setting aside his campaign for a few days, in order to make sure that help to the East Coast was immediate, and not days later. He was attentive to the situation, and plowed through the red tape that always bogs down relief efforts such as this. He is the man to lead this country for another 4 years.
Oh, and Willard Romney; where was he? Why he was busy cleaning out an Ohio Wal-Mart for a “relief effort” of his own. Except in his case, his “relief effort” was a list ditch effort to save a campaign that’s been taking on water way before Superstorm Sandy. If he really truly wanted to help, maybe he could clean out one of those Cayman Island accounts of his, and donate that to the Red Cross: Rather than forcing a bunch of canned goods that they can’t use down their throats.
Willard’s disregard for women was on display in full force last night. He tried to bully Candy Crowley ( to be fair, Obama did to some extent as well). He completely side stepped the issue of equal pay for women. He flat out lied about his “binders of women.” He disrespected single mothers by tying them into gun control and the decline of societal values: Where the fuck did you come up with that Willard? He even did the classic Willard flop on the issue of contraception! The point is that if elected, Willard and the rest of the American Taliban will set women’s rights back at least 100 years. Women have to ask themselves: Is this what I want? Leadership that would impose their own concept of Shari’a law over me?
- Binders Full of Women (iamummsulaim.wordpress.com)
- Mitt’s ‘Binders Full of Women’ Slip (thedailybeast.com)
- Mitt Romney’s Binder Full of Women Gets Its Own Tumblr Before Debate’s Even Over [That's So Romney] (jezebel.com)
So far, I’ve had 169 hits on my blog today, all generated by that search engine question. Our Vice President is Joe Biden. You may have heard of him. He’s the old white guy who stands next to Obama and smiles a lot. He’s been in the political arena for decades, and built his reputation as a feisty political bulldog for his skewering of Reagan Supreme Court nominee Robert Bork, back in the 80′s. He’s debating Paul Ryan tonight, and I hope he delivers the same verbal spanking that he delivered to Bork. You might want to watch it.