It looks like the rabid right to lifers won a small victory this week. Succumbing to pressure from the right, the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation has announced that it is cutting ties with Planned Parenthood. A long time contributor to Planned Parenthood, the foundation will stop funding of all Komen sponsored breast cancer screening and education at all Planned Parenthood centers. The foundation did not even have the courage to respond with Planned Parenthood’s requests to meet with the Komen board of directors.
Fortunately, Planned Parenthood has established an emergency fund, thanks to the generous gift of $250,000 from the Amy and Lee Fikes Foundation. This Breast Health Emergency Fund is expected to help offset the 19 programs that will be lost from the Komen Foundation.
When will these right wing, religious zealot, misogynistic, elitist, patriarchal nut jobs understand that Planned Parenthood is more than just abortion clinics?
In the 800 centers across the country,90% of Planned Parenthood’s health care is preventative cancer screenings, birth control, STD prevention and treatment, breast health services, PAP tests, and sexual health education and treatment. They perform a much needed service to millions of women, men, and teenagers, who otherwise could not afford these services.
The right doesn’t care about this; what they care about is how much control they can exert over a woman and her uterus. Bullying the Komen Foundation into cutting ties with Planned Parenthood is yet another example as to how low the right is willing to sink.
Posted from my piece of crap Blackberry
- Susan G. Komen Foundation Begins Backpedaling For The Cure [Planned Parenthood] (jezebel.com)
- Susan G Komen Stops Funding Planned Parenthood… (wadingnewsblotter.wordpress.com)
- Susan G. Komen Foundation ditches Planned Parenthood, still not good enough for anti-choicers (dailykos.com)
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure Drops Planned Parenthood (thebobblehead.wordpress.com)
- Furor Erupts Over Susan G. Komen Halt Of Grants To Planned Parenthood | WBUR & NPR (americanparser.wordpress.com)