What a travesty. What an utter and complete miscarriage of justice.
Kudos to Guerrilla Feminism for sharing this.
Truer words never spoken.
I would say I’m speechless, but I’m not. I’m outraged. Meanwhile, a black woman in Florida is serving 20 years in prison for firing a warning shot over the head of her abusive husband when he tried to attack her. Apparently, justice in Florida IS a matter of black and white.
- George Zimmerman found not guilty (atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com)
- Verdict: George Zimmerman Found Not Guilty (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)
- A prediction or three about the Zimmerman verdict (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)
- American Injustice: Zimmerman Killed a Boy in ‘Self Defense’ (zwingliusredivivus.wordpress.com)
If you live in South Florida, you may want to check out this article: Why the City of Miami Is Doomed to Drown | Politics News | Rolling Stone. It’s scary as hell. With sea waters rising due to climate change, it’s likely that South Florida is going to sink rather rapidly into the sea as early as 2030. Miami will be gone, the Everglades will be gone, and the Turkey Point nuclear power plant is likely to become another Fukushima. Florida is currently a Tea Party state, and warnings from climatologists are going largely ignored down there. Little is being done to prepare for the rising seas, other than throwing good money after bad in efforts to update decades old pumping and desalinization systems. Miami and the resort towns around it will sink, and within decades become a new age Atlantis. The article poses some realistically scary scenarios for Miami, as well as challenges that other low lying coastal cities such as Washington DC, New York City, and Boston are currently facing now, as well as in the future. If you believe in global warming, this article is a sobering must read.
- Rolling Stone says Goodbye, Miami (bizjournals.com)
- A vision of Miami’s impending underwater apocalypse (theverge.com)
- Sea level rise will turn Miami into American Atlantis (treehugger.com)
- American Atlantis: Sea-level rise means Miami is doomed (grist.org)
The GOP platform is a farce, the nomination procedure was a farce (just ask Ron Paul supporters). The entire convention has been one giant anti-women, anti-gay, anti-immigrant, anti-poor and middle class farce. All the convention has managed to do so far is show the world just how much of a fractured, dysfunctional, and hateful party the GOP is. All I can say is:
Apparently Miami-Dade Fire and Rescue Department Captain Brian Beckmann doesn’t like the arrest of Trayvon Martin’s killer. It seems that he doesn’t think much of Trayvon’s parents either. Beckmann is under investigation by Miami-Dade Fire and Rescue for this cute little rant he posted on Facebook:
Wow dude, that’s quite the racist little bitch session you have going there. I think you might want to exchange your fire helmet for a white hood. Yeesh.
- George Zimmerman’s MySpace sign-on was ‘datniggytb.’ A nickname, not a slur, source claims (dailykos.com)
- Dade Firefighter’s Facebook Post On Trayvon Martin Sparks Firestorm (miami.cbslocal.com)
- Fire captain’s racist rant sparks investigation (local10.com)
- Miami-Dade fire captain on Zimmerman charges: Blame ‘sh*tbag’ parents of ‘our urban youth’ (thegrio.com)
- Dade Firefighter’s Facebook Post On Trayvon Sparks Controversy (miami.cbslocal.com)
6 weeks after he killed Trayvon Martin, and 1 day after his lawyers dumped him on his ass, it appears as if George Zimmerman is finally going to be charged for Martin’s death. Florida special prosecutor Angela Corey will be holding a press conference at 6PM tonight, in which it is expected that she will announce that Zimmerman will be charged. Although details of the charges are not known yet, I would imagine it will be a manslaughter charge: Murder charges can only be filed by a grand jury under Florida state law, and Corey declined to convene the grand jury in this case.
As of right now, Zimmerman’s location is unknown. Zimmerman’s attorneys have stated that although he is still in the U.S, he is no longer in Florida. My guess is that he’s cowering in the basement of his personal confidant, Sean Hannity.
Posted from my CrapBerry
“Like” Beneath The Tin Foil Hat on Facebook for stuff you won’t see on the blog, or follow me on Twitter: @Tinfoilhatman3
- George Zimmerman to be charged in Trayvon Martin shooting, official says (lesliebrodie.wordpress.com)
- George Zimmerman In Custody, Charged With Second-Degree Murder In Trayvon Martin’s Death (whnt.com)
- George Zimmerman To Be Charged In Trayvon Martin Case (alan.com)
- BREAKING: George Zimmerman will be charged in murder of Trayvon Martin (haleybehre.wordpress.com)
- George Zimmerman Expected To Be Charged For The Death Of Trayvon Martin (now100fm.radio.com)
- George Zimmerman expected to be charged in Trayvon Martin’s death (authordaisyroberts.wordpress.com)
- Zimmerman dodges first degree murder charge and launches website (lameducks.wordpress.com)
- Sources: George Zimmerman Could Be Arrested Soon; Grand Jury Won’t Get Trayvon Martin Case (annem040359.wordpress.com)
Tell Florida’s 18th District State’s Attorney what you think about this miscarriage of justice. Just click on the link below:
- [Trayvon Martin] (whereshouldistart.wordpress.com)
- media.think – social justice: Twitter Tidbits and News Links Around The Internet on #TrayvonMartin Blog-In Day (lifestyle30.wordpress.com)
- HUMAN RIGHTS Petition! Don’t Turn Your Eye. Fight for ALL RIGHTS!! (inthemixwithtre.wordpress.com)
- Fear and Justice (gabrielconstans.wordpress.com)
- Short commercial break: Trayvon Martin. (spinsterscompass.wordpress.com)
- Move On.org Is Gearing Up Support “Justice for Trayvon Martin” . Yay! (bonjupatten.com)
- Trayvon Martin case draws celebrities, feds join investigation (csmonitor.com)
Let me see if I have the facts right: A 28 year old white man, with a history of violence, and armed with a 9mm handgun, felt threatened for his life by a 17 year old African American boy who was armed to the teeth with iced tea and Skittles. What possible threat could Trayvon Martin, a young man who earned A’s and B’s in high school, and according to one teacher “majored in cheerfulness,” have posed to George Zimmerman? Was Zimmerman afraid young Trayvon would force him to taste the rainbow?
This young man was murdered before his young life ever really got started, and three weeks later, George Zimmerman is still free because he claimed self defense. I call bullshit, and I call racism on not only George Zimmerman, but the police department and prosecuting attorney of Sanford, Florida. Zimmerman belongs behind bars and should be standing trial for his heartless actions. Trayvon Martin deserved better, and George Zimmerman damn well better be brought to justice for robbing Trayvon of his future, and Trayvon’s family of their son.
Oh, and one more thing; if the situation was reversed, you can bet your ass that Trayvon would be under the jail, regardless of the circumstance.
- Trayvon Martin’s crime: Walking while black (brobrubel.wordpress.com)
- Fear and Justice (gabrielconstans.wordpress.com)
- Family of slain boy outraged shooter remains free (jhaines6.wordpress.com)
- Short commercial break: Trayvon Martin. (spinsterscompass.wordpress.com)
- The Nation Is Watching: the Killer of Trayvon Martin MUST Be Arrested (UPDATE) (theindustrycosign.wordpress.com)
The 12 jurors in the Casey Anthony trial found her not guilty in the 3 year old murder case of her daughter, Caylee. Although she was convicted of 4 counts of lying to the police during the investigation, the worse she’s going to get now is 1 one year of jail for each offense. If she was convicted of 1st degree murder, she probably would have received the death sentence.
I know what a lot of people are thinking: How could a jury in their right mind return with such a verdict? What were they thinking? Did they witness the same trial as everyone else? In other words, the same questions come up that were asked after the O.J. Simpson trial.
In my mind, she was guilty as hell. Casey Anthony is an inheritantly selfish and morally corrupted person. She’s a habitual thief and liar, and yes, I have no doubt that she killed her daughter, and hid her body. However, it is the law in this country that everyone, even Casey Anthony is innocent until proven guilty. In the eyes of the jury, the prosecution did not prove her guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. As with the OJ case, don’t blame the jury, blame the prosecution.
The prosecution had more than enough to poke holes in the defense and put her away. Anthony lied about her “nanny” as well as a rich boyfriend she and her daughter supposedly stayed with. Their was enough forensic evidence to tie Anthony’s car to the body, including the presence of chloroform and hair follicles in the trunk. The prosecution blew the case, pure and simple.
Is this a miscarriage of justice? Yes. Little Caylee’s murderer will never be caught; the prosecution already set her free by not proving their case well enough.
Don’t blame the court system, don’t blame the jury. Instead, point your fingers at the prosecuting attorney, as well as the investigators. Apparently, they haven’t watched enough episodes of CSI or Bones, to figure out how forensic evidence is to be used in a capitol murder trial.
I’m very sorry Caylee, that the state of Florida could not do it’s job well enough to bring your murderer to justice. I can only hope that lessons are learned, and mistakes will not be repeated the next time around. What really hurts my heart is that there will be a next time… Many next times.
- Casey Anthony gets the “out of jail” card in the monopoly game called American justice system! (bonjupatten.wordpress.com)
- 7/5/11: Casey Anthony Verdict; Not Guilty of Murder (brittaj17.wordpress.com)
- Casey Anthony Found Not Guilty In Murder Of Daughter (fresh1027.radio.com)
- Casey Anthony Found NOT GUILTY of Murder (blippitt.com)
- Video: Casey Anthony not guilty (cbsnews.com)
- Can We Forget About O.J. Now? Casey Anthony Just Found Not Guilty In Murder Of Daughter, Do You Think She Did It? (923now.radio.com)
As many of you know, I’m a born again atheist. What many of you don’t know is that I was reared in the catholic faith(No I wasn’t an altar boy, get your mind out of the gutter!). I attended catholic schools and went to church, just like all the other good little catholic children. After I graduated, I stopped going to church, but I continued to maintain my faith in god and based my moral decisions on my religious convictions.
As I grew older, my faith became less important to me, and I began to question the validity of god. How could I not? It’s hard for me to believe that even the most devout christian wouldn’t question their faith in light if all the tragedy and evil that exists in our world.
It was about 5 years ago when my faith completely disappeared. It became evident to me that life was a random act of nature, not a carefully planned process enacted by some invisible sky wizard. The whole concept of deity was devised by our Neolithic predecessors, who were attempting to define nature as well as themselves. Think about it; these early ancestors routinely witnessed the life, death, and rebirth cycle of plants, it was only normal to apply the same cycle to ourselves, and dream that someone above was watching out for us. Who, after death, would be able to refute the theory?
Here is the simple truth; we’re born, we live, we die, our energy is released back to nature. Game over, end of story. If you choose to believe differently, that’s fine. I won’t argue with you unless you become a crazed fanatic about it, like so many extreme christian conservatives are doing now. Then I get pissed. These bible thumping nut jobs are trying to wedge their beliefs into political practice by attempting to define abortion as murder, and same sex marriage as an abomination against traditional marriage. Another attempt at ram-rodding religion down our throats is by force feeding our kids creationism in our public schools. If you want to teach that malarkey, fine. Keep it in your own schools, would you please?
I found this article on Mother Jones today, outlining 9 bills in 7 states that are trying to make creationism part of the public school curriculum. Without further adieu, here is the list, ribbed for your pleasure.
Legislation: HB 2454 would ban discrimination against creationists, for instance, biology professors who believe in intelligent design. Defending his bill, Texas state Rep. Bill Zedler told Mother Jones, “When was the last time we’ve seen someone go into a windstorm or a tornado or any other kind of natural disaster, and say, ‘Guess what? That windstorm just created a watch’?”
Status: Referred to Higher Education Committee.
Legislation: The Kentucky Science Education and Intellectual Freedom Act (HB 169) would have allowed teachers to use “other instructional materials to help students understand, analyze, critique, and review scientific theories in an objective manner.” Kentucky already authorizes public schools to teach “the theory of creation as presented in the Bible” and to “read such passages in the Bible as are deemed necessary for instruction on the theory of creation.” The state is home to the world-renowned Creation Museum and it may soon build the Ark Encounter, the world’s first creationist theme park.
Status: Died in committee.
Legislation: SB 1854 would amend Florida law to require a “thorough presentation and critical analysis of the scientific theory of evolution.” In 2009, Florida state Sen. Stephen Wise, the bill’s sponsor, rhetorically asked a Tampa radio host: “Why do we still have apes if we came from them?”
Status: Referred to Senate Committee on Education Pre-K-12, which Wise chairs.
- Florida GOP Senator Resurrects Failed 2009 Creationism Bill (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- Florida Legislator Wants “Non-Evolution” Taught [Dispatches from the Culture Wars] (scienceblogs.com)
- Kern Spurned: Oklahoma Legislator’s Backdoor Creationism Bill Bounced (secularnewsdaily.com)