It’s estimated that the government shut down will cost the tax payers twenty one million dollars a day. In addition, the shut down will slow down the economy to the tune of three hundred million dollars a day. Meanwhile, the stock market began to plummet before the shut down even went into effect. In addition, an estimated eight hundred thousand government workers are now on leave without pay. Furthermore, vital social programs such as WIC will be shut down, leaving many who rely on government assistance to fend for themselves. Looking forward to retirement? Not so fast my friend. You’re application for Social Security most likely will not be processed until the shut down ends. Want to go to a national park or museum? Forget about it, they’re shut down as well. The absurd list of those affected by the shut down goes on and on.
This is our conservative party at work folks – or in this case non work. They are diligently and systematically destroying our country in order to undermine our president. This isn’t a mere temper tantrum over Obama-care: This is treason. This is one of our parties demonstrating a complete disregard for the country they supposedly have sworn to protect and work for. The government could have easily been kept operational if the Republican Party would have budged one iota on their ridiculous demands. The House and Senate could have easily passed a spending bill that did not include the defunding of Obama-care, John Boehner wouldn’t allow it. The GOP isn’t looking out for the American people, they’re looking out for themselves, as well as the likes of the Koch brothers. This traitorous act by the Republican Party is akin to the boy with the football going home until everybody lets him play quarterback. Let me tell you something boys, the game you’re trying to shut down went on without you: The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act went into effect while you were collectively packing your footballs and going home. Your little game of chicken accomplished nothing, other than seriously damaging our economy. It’s not Obama nor the Democrats who are suffering from your childish and churlish behavior: It’s millions of people in this country who will suffer.
At the very least, the GOP leaders who are leading this crusade against John Q Public simply must be voted out in 2014. At the most, they should be led away from their tax payer subsidized day care in shackles. In closing, I would just like to say this to John Boehner and the rest of his petulant cronies:
- Why the Republicans lost (tv.msnbc.com)
- Senate rejects House funding bill with shutdown in clear sight (thehill.com)
- John Boehner doesn’t have to let the Tea Party paralyze whole government (washingtonpost.com)
- Government Shutdown Begins As Deadlocked Congress Flails (bloomberg.com)
In case you missed it, here’s a summary of what Rand “If I were president” Paul, and Marco “drink of water boss?” Rubio had to say last night:
What are your thoughts on Obama’s SOTU? I have to admit, I only caught the last half hour last night. However, I did get a chance to read the full text of his speech this morning. All in all, I thought it was a very moving address. Here are some points that caught my attention:
1. POTUS finished his speech with an extremely emotional bang. His call for tougher gun control regulations were punctuated with recognition of several victims of gun violence. After each name was called, he implored that each victim deserves a vote. Even John Boehner rose to his feet to applaud. However, I couldn’t help but feel that this was nothing more than emotional grandstanding. Obama never once mentioned an actual passing of a gun control bill, he merely called for some form of legislation to be voted upon. He knows full well that nothing will pass through the NRA controlled congress. His rhetoric did make me tear up a little though.
2. Climate change. Yes Mr. President, our climate has changed. You’re a little late, but welcome to the conversation. For the sake of every living thing on this planet. I implore you to lead the way in reducing our carbon footprint. Climate change is an issue that you should be talking about every single day until something is done.
3. Raising the minimum wage. This is also long overdue. There should be no such thing as the working poor. I like the idea of tying the minimum wage to the cost of living index. Make it happen.
4. Improving infrastructure. Again, long overdue. Want to put people back to work? Want to attract more jobs and boost interstate commerce? Improve our decaying infrastructure. It’s a no brainer.
5. Women do deserve equal pay: Twist some arms and make this happen.
6. Cyber security. This makes me little nervous. I can’t help but feel that more of our civil liberties are going to be stripped under the guise of national security and cyber security. It seemed as this part of his speech was pointed more toward hacktivists such as Anonymous, and less toward global terrorist.
7. Transparency of national security. Obama tells us that congress is informed of every program and action taken by our security and intelligence agencies. He also assured that the public would be kept in the know. This was a pants on fire moment for the president. I’m skeptical, as is a majority of the country. Let’s get a look at that kill list Mr. President!
8. Cut Spending, close tax loopholes. I agree, but why fuck with Medicare?
9. Obama seemed more bi-partisan. He worked very hard to remind everyone last night that we’re in this for the long haul. He seemed to throw a little something out to both parties.
The whole time I was watching the speech, Biden’s lack of pupil visibility was freaking me and my partner out. It was very disturbing.
Bonus: Boehner seemed to be an even higher shade of orange.
Over all, I think it was one of the president’s best speeches. He was conciliatory, and he was passionate about issues that are in the fore front of the county’s collective mind. As with every SOTU, I can only hope there’s more action than lip service.
The Constitution is indeed under attack from the White House. However, in spite of the rhetoric from the guns nuts, It’s the 5th and 14th amendments we need to worry about, not the 2nd.
The memos regarding the targeting of Americans suspected of being members of Al-Qaida are not only disturbing, they’re down right ass puckering. The White House is insisting that Obama has the right to play judge, jury, and executioner in these cases. Our right to due process is of no consequence. It’s bad enough that we utilize flying killer robots to kill innocents in other countries: now, Obama is insisting that he can turn them on us with absolutely no disclosure of proof, no arrest, no trial, no anything. All it takes is whatever file our crack intelligence agencies happen to lay on Obama’s desk.
The drone program isn’t a war on terror, it’s a war on liberty, it’s a war on human rights. The drone program is the resurgence of Murder Incorporated. The drone program isn’t justice, it’s White House directed vigilantism, it’s fascism disguised as the war on terror.
What’s nearly as disturbing as this total lack of regard for our right of due process, is the lack of protest from our media, or seemingly any liberal for that matter. We should be as outraged over this as we were over the transgressions perpetrated by the Bush Administration. There was a lot of back lash over the imprisonment and torture of people who were deemed as threats to national security under Bush’s watch: Why is Obama seemingly getting a pass on this policy, which is tantamount to scenarios straight out of a Judge Dredd comic? When will this country have a government that actually works for and with the people?
What we have, and have had all along, is a government that works above the people. It’s always been that way, and it will always be that way. The fact that our president can play judge, jury, and executioner when ever he wants, Constitution be damned, is more than enough proof that we don’t matter. All that matters is profit and power. If you get in the way of that, be prepared to get a drone up your ass, with no questions asked.
Iran shot a monkey into space yesterday? How could we let that happen? The next thing we know, Iran will be shooting monkeys at Israel and America! This is why we need more guns: To ward off Iranian space monkey invasions!
I blame Hillary Clinton and President Obama for allowing this to happen. Maybe we should send a drone to kill off all the monkeys in the Mideast. We really need to send those gray tufted bastards a message!
Those damn tyrannical, liberty stealing deer acting as Obama’s minions! We simply must organize our militias, and crush these horned seditionists with our Walmart semi automatic weapons!